Got ants? You aren’t alone. Ants are a common household pest in Indiana. You don’t want ants to take up residence in your home. Depending on the species, ants can damage your home, contaminate your home with germs, and some bite! Although, ants have interesting qualities. Below is a list of ant facts that make us scratch our heads.
- Ants are old. There is evidence that ants have been around since the dinosaurs.
- Ants have jobs. Ants divide jobs among each other in a colony.
- Ants are strong. Move aside, Hulk. Ants can carry up to 50 times their own body weight.
- Ants can become zombies. A species of fungus can take control of ants’ bodies. It makes the ant wander away from the colony, chomp down hard on a leaf, and die. The spores released from the ant corpse can infect other ants.
- Ants can have slaves. Some ants invade other ant colonies and force them to work for them.
- Ants can be farmers. Complete with a livestock of bugs, ants can farm much like humans.
- Ants don’t have lungs. Because they are so tiny, ants don’t have room for lungs. Instead, they breathe in oxygen through holes on the sides of their bodies.
- Ants are the majority. It is estimated that there are about 1 million ants for every human being on the planet. That’s a lot of ants!
Some of those ants may find their way into your home. Some common Midwestern ants are: Carpenter Ants, Field Ants, Odorous House Ants, Pavement Ants, and Pharaoh Ants. When this happens, don’t delay calling Northwest Indiana’s trusted pest experts at Affordable Bio Control Pest Management. Feel free to fill out our contact form here, or give us a call at: 219-608-4286. We look forward to serving you!