Do you love the warmth of summer evenings? If so, you aren’t alone! Bed bugs love feasting during summer nights. But we are guessing you’d rather not share your home with these tiny, rash-causing insects. These uninvited guests are hard to get rid of and every homeowner’s nightmare come true.
Although bed bugs are year-round pests, most people become aware of their presence in warmer months. This is because they are most active in the evenings and love heat. Additionally, more people are vacationing, visiting and sharing bed bugs with each other. It is common to pick up bed bugs while staying at a hotel and bringing them back home, hidden in your luggage.
What exactly are bed bugs and what do they look like? Check out our informative blog by clicking HERE.
Don’t cancel your summer vacation plans just yet! The good news is that you can work to prevent bed bug infestations. Follow these steps below for prevention:
- Check out the reviews of the place where you will stay.
- Do a bed bug check when you get to your hotel or Airbnb.
- Use peppermint oil or another favorite essential oil in your luggage. This isn’t a proven method, but hey, what could it hurt!
- Keep your luggage closed and seal any cracks with tape.
- Use zip lock bags for your clothes.
- Wash your clothes as soon as you get home. Make sure to dry them in the dryer…that is the most important part! The high heat of the dryer is what kills off the rest of the bed bugs that may have outlived the wash cycle.
If you find out that you these pests weaseled their way home with you anyway, don’t fret. Call your friends at Affordable Bio Control Pest Management. You can use our contact form here, or call 219-608-4286. We proudly serve the Region offering the most affordable, effective bed bug treatment.